The Cyprus Government expects the creation of conditions that will allow the UN Secretary-General to activate the discussion procedures on “the bold” Confidence-Building Measures (CBMs) it has submitted, but also the resumption of a new dialogue on equal terms, Government Spokesman, Marios Pelekanos said on Sunday.
In his speech at the annual memorial service of the heroes of the Troulloi village in Larnaca, Andreas Sourouklis and Nicolas Georgiou, Pelekanos said the Greek Cypriot side which is “always committed to defending justice and peace,” seeks, with its constant efforts, actions and proposals, the resumption of talks and conditions for a viable and functional solution within the framework of a constructive dialogue, based on the principles of international law, the UN Security Council resolutions and the principles and values of the European Union.
The Government Spokesman also said that the President of the Republic has repeatedly emphasized to the UN Secretary-General, “to our partners in the EU, to the permanent and non-permanent Members of the Security Council and to the wider international community, that our will for the resumption of the dialogue is given, having the same determination and goodwill that we have shown so far in all previous efforts to resolve the Cyprus issue.”
We expect, he noted, “that the involvement of high-rank officials of the United Nations Secretariat and the related contacts with the parties involved, will allow the Secretary-General to activate the discussion procedures on the bold Confidence Building Measures that we have tabled but will also lead us to the restart of a new dialogue on equal terms, away from blackmail, threats and absurd claims.”
Pelekanos said that the memorial service of the two heroes comes just days after “the sad, dark anniversary of the coup and the Turkish invasion, and at a time of intense and provocative statements and actions by the other side aimed at maximizing the deadlocks, obstructing the resumption of negotiations and promoting its unacceptable claims.”
He added, that the aim of occupier Turkey, “with threats, blackmail and with its ongoing illegal actions,” such as the flagrant attacks in the Republic of Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone, the interventions in the fenced area of Famagusta, and its insistence on “the partitionist faits accomplis, which is constantly cultivating in the occupied territories,” is to nullify the very existence and international status of the Republic of Cyprus.
Through this aggression, he said, “Turkey is trying to blackmail us, in order for us to accept everything it is planning,” which, as he said, are intended to both maintain the occupation and ensure its grip on the island.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results.
Source: Cyprus News Agency