We are in constant contact with UNSG Envoy Lute, Spokesman says

The Greek Cypriot side is in constant contact with UNSG Envoy Jane Hall Lute and awaits to see how her initiative will proceed for the resumption of the Cyprus talks, Government Spokesman Prodromos Prodromou has said.

Speaking on Monday to the press, Prodromou was invited to comment whether there was any new development as regards the UNSG Report on Cyprus or his Envoys initiative for the resumption of the talks. The Spokesman said that the Report is expected to be discussed as soon as possible, adding that at the same time our side is in constant contact with Lute in view of her new initiative for the resumption of the negotiations.

He said that all this time the President was ready for the resumption of the dialogue on the basis of the six point framework put forward by the SG and has also responded to ideas that were submitted by Lute herself during her visits to Cyprus.

Therefore, he added, we are waiting to see what the option will be and how the initiative will proceed.

Replying to a question, the Spokesman said that the President has submitted ideas to assist Lutes task and has positively responded to ideas she put forward and now we are waiting to see what the follow up will be.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37% of its territory. Repeated rounds of UN-backed peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The last round of negotiations, in the summer of 2017, at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana, ended inconclusively.

Source: Cyprus News Agency