Russian FM says disagreements on history should not prevent compromises in Cyprus talks

The Russian Foreign Ministry has expressed hope that the Cyprus talks will resume.

Spokeswoman of the Russian Foreign Ministry, Maria Zakharova, said on Thursday that Russia regrets “the complications that arose in the Cyprus settlement talks”.

According to a tweet from the Russian FM, Zakharova pointed out that “disagreements on politics and history should not prevent compromises during the Cyprus settlement talks”.

“We hope that the sides in the Cyprus settlement talks will adopt a constructive approach and return to the negotiating table”, she said.

The Republic of Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. President of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades and Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci have been engaged in UN-led talks since May 2015 with an aim to reunify the island under a federal roof.

Akinci walked away from their last meeting, in the framework of the UN-led negotiations on the Cyprus problem, shortly after it began. It was announced that the two leaders had elaborated earlier on their positions as regards an amendment passed by the Cypriot Parliament which includes a once a year discussion of ten minutes in school classrooms about the 1950 referendum held in Cyprus, which favored back then a union (or enosis in the Greek language) with Greece.

President Anastasiades has described the House amendment “wrong” and called on Akinci to return to the negotiating table. Akinci demands that the amendment of the Cypriot Parliament is revoked before returning to the negotiating table.

The Cypriot President recalled the unanimous decision of the National Council where it declared that no one is pursuing “Enosis” or division, noting that “we remain committed to the unanimous decisions of the National Council, the UN resolutions and Security Council decisions for the type of solution that we are working for. This should have been more than satisfactory”.

Government Spokesman Nicos Christodoulides said that the ball is now in the Turkish court.

Source: Cyprus News Agency