President ready to resume settlement talks, Deputy Minister says

Deputy Minister to the President Vasilis Palmas said on Thursday that the President of the Republic is ready for the Cyprus talks to resume from the point they stopped, in Crans Montana, Switzerland, in July last year.

Palmas stressed that a solution to the Cyprus problem must be functional in order to be viable.

The Deputy Minister to the President received on Thursday afternoon a declaration from unions, political parties and social institutions from the island’s two communities. The declaration was handed over to Palmas by Pambis Kyritsis, general secretary of PEO, the Pancyprian Federation of Labour, on behalf of all the groups that took part in a bicommunal gathering for peace and reunification, last Saturday.

Palmas reiterated that the President has repeatedly declared his willingness for the talks to start again from the point they stopped in July 2017, in Switzerland.

Furthermore, he said he hoped that the President’s meeting with the Turkish Cypriot leader on 26 October would create the prerequisites for the visit of the Special Envoy of the UN Secretary General Jane Holl Lute to pave the way for the resumption of the talks.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Source: Cyprus News Agency