President ready for consultations says Government Spokesman ahead of Lute’s arrival to Cyprus

The President of Cyprus is ready for consultations, Government Spokesman Prodromos Prodromou said on Friday, ahead of the arrival of Jane Holl Lute, the UN Secretary-General’s envoy to Cyprus between December 15-16.

In statements at the margins of an event for the Cyprus Children’s Fund, at the Presidential Palace, Prodromou said that that we know that Lute will be in Cyprus during the weekend of December 15-16 and in the next days consultations will need to take place. The President of the Republic is ready.

He added that we look forward to the presence of Lute here because we want to formulate and reach an agreement on the terms of reference, in order to start again the negotiations.

Asked if this is going to be the last round of contacts, Lute will have with the parties involved, Prodromou said he hoped so, in order to formulate the terms of reference.

We want to go back to the negotiating table, because we are not satisfied that the Conference on Cyprus, organized by the UN Secretary General, failed eventually due to Turkey. We are not satisfied with this and we want to utilize the desire, expressed by Guterres, to follow up on Cyprus, he concluded.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Source: Cyprus News Agency