President and government’s stance on Cyprus problem stable, Spokesman says

The stance of President of the Republic of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades and the government on the Cyprus problem issue is stable and the Greek Cypriot side is ready to cooperate with the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for Cyprus Jane Holl Lute for the resumption of negotiations aimed at a settlement, Government Spokesman Prodromos Prodromou said on Friday.

Referring to Turkey’s provocative remarks, Prodromou said that this may be explained by the fact that there are about to be elections in Turkey, which are presented as being of particular importance or even crucial.

He noted that the stance of the President of the Republic and our government is stable and we are willing and ready to cooperate with Mrs. Lute for the resumption of the negotiations.

Some things that are heard indeed do not help, but this does not mean that we will stop striving for that which the UN Secretary General made sure to secure, namely that there is room and time for a new initiative for the resumption of the negotiations, Prodromou pointed out.

Prodromou said this is what is important and noted that despite the behaviour of others, we must not lose sight of the fact that the UN Secretary General, after the deadlock in Crans Montana, returned believing that, if we agree amongst ourselves how the negotiations will continue and what the reference points will be, we can have a negotiation.

He pointed out that Turkey tried to delay the process by referring the resumption of talks after the European elections and that so far Turkey’s stance does not appear to be positive.

Asked about the appointment of Andreas Mavroyiannis to the position of Cyprus’ Permanent Representative to the UN, while maintaining his capacity of negotiator, Prodromou said that one person holding both posts has happened in the past and worked.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third.

Source: Cyprus News Agency