Over two tons of beef held in Cyprus, but no danger from consumption

Over two tons of beef are being held in the freezers of an importer in Cyprus by the Veterinary Services, after information through the EU Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF) that the meat, of British origin, was considered unsafe for human consumption by the Food Standards Agency (FSA).

Head of the Veterinary Services Christodoulos Pipis told CNA that they had found that another 870 kilos had already been distributed to a well-know chain of bars and restaurants in Cyprus, however the distributor has already contacted them, requesting the immediate containment and return of any quantities of meat still in their establishments.

Pipis assured that there was no danger from the consumption of the meat, noting that, according to the FSA, no problems had been reported in the UK. He added that no problems had arisen in Cyprus either.

He pointed out that it was not the meat that was unfit for consumption, but the recall was due to irregular hygiene conditions where the meat was being stored.

In mid-January, the FSA had carried out a surprise check of the Russell Hume facilities, finding unhygienic meat processing practices.

GlobalMeatNews.com quoted an FSA representative as saying that frozen beef had also been sent to Cyprus.

Pipis said Cyprus was notified through an RASFF message on January 26 and had immediately visited the establishment with the imported meat. The importer cooperated fully and it was found that 870 kilos had already been distributed.

Source: Cyprus News Agency