Nicosia expects the UNSC to express support to the resumpion of talks if a statement is issued

Nicosia expects that the UN Security Council will extend its support to the continuation of the process which is underway aiming at the resumption of the negotiations for a Cyprus settlement, if the body decides to issue a statement after its briefing on developments about the Cyprus problem on May 2nd, a government source has told the Cyprus News Agency (CNA).

The Security Council will be briefed by the Under-Secretary-General for Political and Peacebuilding Affairs, Rosemary DiCarlo. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres submitted in April to the Security Council members his report on his good offices mission in Cyprus, which circulated as a Security Council official document on April 23. In view of the discussion at the Security Council and a possible statement by the Security Council it was decided for the Greek Cypriot negotiator Andreas Mavroyiannis to visit New York and hold meetings there. Mavroyiannis has not yet assumed his duties as Cyprus Permanent Representative to the UN.

It is not sure that a statement will be issued by the UN Security Council but if there is such a statement, it is expected that the body will express its support to the resumption of the negotiations, the government source told CNA.

Moreover, it said that the UNSG did not put his cards on the table as to how he is planning to proceed in the future on the Cyprus problem, during the brief meeting he had in China last week with Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades, on the sidelines of the Belt and Road Forum. The Secretary-General mainly listened to what the President told him, noting that he is aware of how things stand right now, the source added.

Government Spokesman Prodromos Prodromou had said after the conclusion of Anastasiades’ visit to Beijing that during his encounter with Guterres, the President underlined his will and the will of the Greek Cypriot side for the resumption of the negotiations and his readiness to contribute to the efforts underway, either by meeting with the Turkish Cypriot leader or in another way which the UNSG would indicate.

Referring to the meeting of the Security Council on Thursday about Cyprus, the government source also told CN? that we expect to see whether any comments will be made during the discussion of the UNSG’s report and how the UNSG himself is planning to proceed.

Moreover, it recalled the discussions on the Cyprus problem which President Anastasiades had in Beijing with the Presidents of China and Russia, two countries which are permanent members of the Security Council.

A UN source has told CNA that no statements are scheduled to be made after the UNSC briefing either by DiCarlo of the Secretary General himself, adding that it is up to the Security Council if they want to issue a statement.

In his recent report on his mission of good offices in Cyprus, the UNSG referred to the efforts underway by his special envoy Jane Holl Lute with a view to formulate the terms of reference that will allow the resumption of the Cyprus talks, expressing hope that the ongoing consultations will lead to a return to negotiations.

Moreover, Guterres said he will request Lute to continue discussions on my behalf. The way ahead must be well prepared, with a sense of urgency and focus. I urge the leaders and the guarantor Powers to continue their constructive engagement with Ms. Lute and with each other, as necessary, to establish the basis for negotiations to be resumed. This engagement will need to be infused with a sense of purpose and determination to reach a successful end within a foreseeable horizon, he noted.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37% of its territory. Repeated rounds of UN-backed peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The last round of negotiations, in the summer of 2017, at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana, ended inconclusively.

Source: Cyprus News Agency