Greece strongly supports UN Secretary General’s efforts to resume negotiations on Cyprus Problem, Mitsotakis says at the UN Assembly

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis addressed on Friday, September 23, the 77th UN General Assembly, stressing that Greece strongly supports “both the Secretary General’s efforts to resume negotiations for a mutually acceptable settlement, and the Confidence Building Measures proposed by the President of the Republic of Cyprus, Mr Nikos Anastasiadis”.


“Ukraine is not the only country in post-war Europe to have been attacked. For nearly 50 years, Cypriots have lived on a divided island as the result of an illegal invasion and a military occupation”, Mitsotakis stressed during his speech.


Greek Prime Minister noted that “Ankara and the Turkish-Cypriot leadership, isolated and alone in the international community, continue to insist upon unacceptable demands for a two-state solution”. “They refuse to resume negotiations for an agreed settlement on the basis of successive Security Council Resolutions”, he said.


He also stressed that “the international community must not ignore illegal Turkish attempts to impose a new fait-accompli on Cyprus, in particular in the fenced area of Varosha, as well as new and repeated violations of Cyprus’ maritime zones and airspace”.


Mitsotakis also referred to “Turkey’s continued and ever more aggressive revisionist agenda vis a vis Greece”, noting that “Turkish claims over the sovereignty of Greece’s islands are baseless and unacceptable”.


“Questioning the sovereignty of Greek territory crosses a red line for all Greeks. And as Prime Minister of Greece, I will never compromise on my country’s territorial integrity, security and stability. Greece will not be bullied by anyone”, he concluded.


Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.


Source: Cyprus News Agency