Dispatch of humanitarian aid to the enclaved in Turkish occupied north resumes

The dispatch of humanitarian aid to the enclaved living in the Turkish occupied north of Cyprus resumed on Thursday morning, following a decision by the illegal Turkish Cypriot regime to revoke an earlier decision it had taken in October last year to impose a levy.

Presidential Commissioner Photis Photiou has told CNA that three trucks of the United Nations Peacekeeping Forces in Cyprus (UNFICYP), after loading humanitarian aid from the Cyprus Government Stores, crossed to the north at the Ledra Palace checkpoint without any problems.

He said the same procedure will be repeated Friday for the maronite villages.

The illegal Turkish Cypriot regime in Cyprus occupied areas decided to impose as of 1st October 2017 a tax on humanitarian aid sent to the enclaved, Greek Cypriots and Maronites living in the northern Turkish occupied part of the island. The Cyprus government had made clear that it would not, under any circumstances, pay such a levy. Last month, the “council of ministers” in the occupied areas decided to revoke the decision.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third.

At the end of the second phase of the Turkish invasion late in August 1974, about 20,000 Greek and Maronite Cypriots inhabiting in villages and townships primarily in the Karpas Peninsula of northeast Cyprus and in villages west of the city of Kyrenia remained behind the ceasefire line. Today, only a total of 437 (April 2013) persons remain behind the green line, of whom 328 are Greek Cypriot and 109 Maronite Cypriots. These persons are known as the enclaved.

Despite the Third Vienna Agreement, Turkey and its Turkish Cypriot subordinate regime in occupied Cyprus have violated all its terms. Since 1974, the enclaved have endured conditions of hardship and oppression because of their ethnicity, language and religion.

Source: Cyprus News Agency