Cyprus Presidency: Turkish Cypriot leader’s demands only aim at subjugating Cyprus to Turkey’s full control

The only thing the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mustafa Akinci, aims to do by stipulating his demands is to take hostage and subjugate Cyprus to Turkey’s full control, an announcement by the Presidency of the Republic says.

At the same time it is noted that the President of Cyprus, Nicos Anastasiades, aims to contribute positively in the creation of a climate, conducive to the immediate resumption of settlement talks from the point they were left off at the Swiss resort of Crans Montana, in the summer of 2017, with prospects of success and for the benefit of all Cypriot people, Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots. Therefore, the announcement goes on, President Anastasiades works closely with the UN Secretary-General’s envoy, Jane Holl Lute, in her effort for the resumption of talks.

In reply to a statement made earlier on Tuesday by Akinci, the Presidency of the Republic underlines that the Greek Cypriot community is fighting for the last 45 years for and seeks urgently a solution to the Cyprus problem, since after the 1974 Turkish invasion and as a result of the occupation of 37% of the territory of the Republic of Cyprus by Turkish troops, Turkish Cypriots and Turkish settlers usurp the properties of 167 thousand forcibly displaced Greek Cypriots.

It would be nice if Akinci could tell us and the United Nations if there is any other recognized federal state where the same or similar demands, he is making for his community, are in place it is added.

The Presidency also stresses that the Turkish Cypriot leader has to say if the convergences reached on the population ratio of the two communities are valid, along with the provisions of the EU acquis on fundamental liberties. At the same time, it is added, he needs to say which party went back on what was agreed regarding the implementation of basic human rights and liberties in Cyprus.

Moreover, the announcement says that it is important for Akinci to clarify whether he supports the continuation of intervention and guarantee rights, as well as the perpetual presence of troops from third countries in a free, common homeland.

The Presidency of the Republic also calls on the Turkish Cypriot leader to explain why Famagusta remains for the last 45 years a ghost town, when according to Akinci, the Turkish Cypriot side supposedly aims for a solution but at the same time does not even accept the appointment of an international committee to study the present condition of the Turkish-occupied, fenced off part of Famagusta, to determine what is required for its reconstruction.

A series of answers could be provided to Akinci’s claims, however the President of the Republic avoids, in a systematic manner, to do so, in order not to further aggravate the negative political climate which the Turkish Cypriot leadership strives to create, the announcement concludes.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Source: Cyprus News Agency