CYPRUS: EU sanctions against Turkey “will take time”

It will take Brussels some time to decide on targeted EU measures against Turkey for violating Cyprus’ Exclusive Economic Zone, Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades admits.

Last week the European Council expressed serious concerns over Turkeys current illegal drilling activities in the Eastern Mediterranean and backed Brussels to submit options for appropriate measures without delay, including targeted measures.

Anastasiades said that the final text of the Council conclusions was firmer due to the stance adopted by Turkey, marking the dispatch of its drill-ship Fatih in the region with triumphant speeches and ceremonies.

This was the proof that Turkey is not taking into account any verbal warnings or advice, said Anastasiades.

This was the reason for the change of scenery and the adoption of a decision to take measures against Turkey.

Asked when these measures are going to be adopted, Anastasiades said that this takes some time because there are established procedures in the EU.

For Russia it took six months for the measures to be adopted, he noted.

According to the President, the European Commission and the European External Action Service under Federica Mogherini are the competent bodies to suggest measures, which will then be adopted by the European Council.

Last month Turkey issued a navigational telex, announcing its intention to start drilling off Cyprus until September 3.

Fatih is located almost 40 nautical miles west of the Akamas peninsula and 83 nautical miles from the Turkish coast.

The area falls within the EEZ and continental shelf of the Republic of Cyprus.

Ankara has sent Yavuz, a second Turkish drill ship to explore water off Cyprus as well.

Source: The Financial Mirror