Cup and League matches in Cyprus resume

League matches and Cyprus’ Cup Competition are set to resume, starting this Wednesday, Minister of Justice and Public Order, George Savvides, announced on Monday. He was speaking after a meeting at the Ministry, discussing football developments in Cyprus. Police Chief Kypros Michaelides, Cyprus Football Association (CFA) President George Koumas and Cyprus Referees Association President Giorgos Papoutsos also attended.

CFA decided to call off all league matches when referees announced last Friday to abstain. The decision came in the wake of a bomb attack against a football referee in Larnaca earlier in the day.

After announcing Mondays decision, Justice Minister thanked all stakeholders for a constructive meeting which, he said, resulted in resolving the problem. He said, moreover, that during the meeting they also listened to the referees, adding that they condemn once more the cowardly attack against a football referee. Savvides assured referees that the state will stand by them, providing for their security.

The Minister said moreover that the Police Chief decided to appoint Senior Police Officer, Christoforos Mavromatis, as a liaison with the referees, in order to timely receive information relevant to their protection and for filing complaints pertaining to match fixing.

He also announced the launch of a Red Button Service, allowing citizens to call 1460 to report any information or evidence they may have, anonymously or by using their real names.

The government’s position is that corruption needs to be eliminated in full, the Minister concluded.

Source: Cyprus News Agency