CMP members received expert’s report on Dikomo landfill and will decide further steps, Nestoros tells CNA

The Committee of Missing Persons (CMP) members have received the report drafted by the Portuguese expert who undertook the project for the rehabilitation of a landfill in the Turkish occupied village of Dikomo, where according to information, remains of Greek Cypriot missing persons were relocated, and will examine it, with a view to determine further steps on this issue, representative of the Greek Cypriot side at CMP Nestoras Nestoros told CNA.

According to Nestoros, the expert refers in his report to his findings during his recent visit to the site in Dikomo and to his meetings in Cyprus, explaining how the landfill was rehabilitated and the works undertaken there. He added that CMP members and their advisers will evaluate the report and hold deliberations with a view to decide the next steps. The Committee got a first glimpse of the report during its meeting on Thursday.

According to information which the CMP has, the remains of approximately 70 persons from Ashia village who went missing during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974 and were thrown into two wells in Ornithi village were relocated in the mid 90’s and were buried at the landfill in Dikomo.

Nestoros told CNA there is toxicity in the area where the waste was concentrated before the rehabilitation of the site, and therefore they will have to deal with safety and health issues if they proceed with an excavation, and a study on the toxic waste management will have to be carried out.

Certainly, if the excavation is carried out outside this area then then things will be easier, he added.

Nestoros noted that next week CMP members will thoroughly look into the expert’s report along with their advisers. Moreover, he underlined the significance of the fact that the office of the Turkish Cypriot member of the Committee has undertaken to further investigate this case, seeking to gather more information about it.

We will take a decision about our further steps soon, taking into consideration any findings of the investigation carried out by the Turkish Cypriot side, Nestoros concluded.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied its northern third. Since then, the fate of hundreds of people remains unknown.

A Committee on Missing Persons has been established, upon agreement between the leaders of the two communities, with the scope of exhuming, identifying and returning the remains of missing persons to their relatives.

Source: Cyprus News Agency