Αnother two people dead from COVID-19 in Cyprus, 16 new confirmed cases on Friday

Cyprus authorities announced on Friday that another two people have lost their lives from COVID-19, while another 16 new cases were confirmed.

This means that in total five people have died from the disease so far, while the number of confirmed cases has reached 162, including four cases located in the British Bases on the island.

Another 61 confirmed coronavirus cases have been announced in the Turkish occupied areas of the island.

Speaking during a press conference at the Ministry of Health, Dr. MariosLoizou, Scientific Director at the Nicosia Directorate of the State Health Services Organization, said that “unfortunately, today we lost another two people in the battle against the pandemic, who had been hospitalized in the Intensive Care Unit of the Limassol General Hospital.”

The two patients who died are a 76-year-old woman, a Cypriot national, who suffered from underlying diseases and a 47-year-old man, a Greek national, who had no previous serious medical history.

After this unpleasant development, the deaths from COVID-19 in Cyprus have reached five, four men and one woman, with an average age of 63, he added.

Loizou continued noting that according to the data as of 1500 hours local time (1300 GMT) 18 people are hospitalized in a ward at Famagusta General Hospital, which is a reference hospital and two more in an increased care unit.

Three people are each in a ward in the General Hospitals of Nicosia, Larnaka and Limassol.

Seven people are intubated in Limassol General Hospital Intensive Care Unit and six in the Nicosia Hospital Intensive Care Unit.

“The state of health of these patients is critical but until now stable,” he said. He also added that one person is at Limassol General Hospital Intensive Care Unit but is not intubated.

Loizou said that the increase of serious cases means that the foremost priority is to give them the best possible treatment.

As you are aware, this disease due to its particularity, its clinical picture and the serious respiratory failure it causes, constitutes a serious challenge for the scientific community. Many treatments are implemented internationally and many drugs are being tested, he pointed out.

Loizou further assured that “the Cypriot patient has the same treatment choices as patients all over the world.” Already, he added, most available choices of treatment have been given to patients in Cyprus on the basis of their needs.

He also informed that a consultative committee of experts, established by the Minister of Health ConstantinosIoannou, is preparing guidelines on how to deal with patients “which will be ready very soon.”

“Today’s losses remind us of what we have said all along, that we are faced with a difficult situation, an invisible enemy,” he said, adding that “the effort should be universal, it concerns all of us, everyone must do their duty.”

On his part, DrLeontiosKostrikkis, of the Government’s Advisory Body on the pandemic and a professor at the University of Cyprus, said that the new confirmed cases are 16.

One person returned from a European country, so it is considered to be an imported case. Nine people were located after having tracked down the contacts of cases which had already tested positive, one of whom concerns the Pafos General Hospital cluster. One person tested positive from the British Bases, two worked as crew in two different vessels and three people whose background is under investigation.

“On the basis of today’s data, the total number of positive cases has reached 162, including the four which were located in the British Bases,” he noted.

According to Kostrikkis “it is important to say that 85 out of 162 cases are people who came into contact with other confirmed cases, so their provenance is Cyprus.”

He also said that quite a few people who have been diagnosed with virus have already recovered.

He reiterated “the clear instructions that everyone should stay at home and we should be assured that the situation is manageable.” Let us give time to the health system to be ready when we need it, he added.

Asked about the cases which are under investigation, he said that right now there are 7 cases under investigation, clarifying that the ongoing effort is to find out where the virus was contracted from.

Source: Cyprus News Agency

Leave a Reply